It’s hard to imagine a better family holiday than one spent in a beautiful villa in Bali. Obviously, a luxury villa rental, with a beautiful private swimming pool set in spectacular tropical gardens is a very significant part of that, but the number and wide variety of exciting and interesting things to do in Bali is similarly appealing.
Some luxury villas in Bali will provide a car service to transport you around the island in air- conditioned comfort, but, if not, taxis are cheap and plentiful. For any day out, and particularly those that will be spent outside in the sun, don’t forget the essentials like sunscreen, hats and lots of bottled water. Before undertaking an activity that carries any kind of potential risk, check that it is covered by your travel insurance.
While there are not too many children who don’t love a day by the pool or one on the beach, Bali offers a wide variety of days out that are family friendly and guaranteed to put a smile on children’s faces. These are a few of our favourites.
1. Waterbom water park
Unsurprisingly, Bali is home to a number of water parks. After all, what better way is there to have fun and stay cool. Waterbom, located in Kuta, sits on a 3.8 hectare site and offers a wide variety of rides and attractions ranging from the sedate to the terrifying. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and suitable for children of all ages.
2. Bali wake parkA slightly different kind of water park, Bali wake park, in Denpasar, offers cable water-skiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, etc, along with Aqualand, a “Wipeout” style inflatable playground in the water. Less active family members can hang out in the pool with a cold drink and a snack from the bar or simply relax on a sun-lounger watching the action. Open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily and suitable for children aged 6 and above.
3. Bali zooLocated a short distance outside of Denpasar in a lush, tropical setting, Bali zoo is home to over 500 species of animals. As well as a petting zoo, which is always popular with kids, some unusual and novel activities are available, such as breakfast with orangutans and elephant mud fun, which includes a mud bath with Sumatran elephants. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
4. Day Trip to Nusa Lembongan IslandReached via a 30 minute ferry ride from Sanur, which is less than 15 kms from Seminyak, the beautiful Nusa Lembongan Island offers gorgeous tropical beaches. The ocean is crystal clear and perfect for snorkeling and scuba diving, as well as surfing and stand up paddleboarding. The spectacular coastline makes the island a great spot for coastal walks to take in the many stunning sights.
5. White water raftingFor families with slightly older and more adventurous children, white water rafting is available on both the Telaga Waja and Ayung rivers in Bali. Trips of varying lengths and in different grades of white water are available to suit your needs, some with a picnic lunch included. Typically for adults and children aged 7 and above. Something of a must for thrill seeking visitors to Bali.
6. Sacred Monkey Forest SanctuarySet in 12.5 hectares of spectacular, mature forest in Ubud and home to 3 beautiful temples and over a thousand long-tailed macaque monkeys, the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary is one of Bali’s most popular tourist attractions. Make sure to take off any loose items and follow the rules. A great day out and extremely popular with children. Open daily from 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
7. Bali Bird ParkLocated in Batubulan, typically about a 40 minute drive from Seminyak, the Bali Bird Park is home to over 1,000 birds, representing 250 species. With a variety of shows, feeding activities and other special programs, there’s lots of opportunities for getting up close to lots of beautiful, tame birds. The park is divided into 7 regions that recreate the natural habitats of the birds within them. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
8. Devdan showFor fans of the performing arts, the Devdan show, at the Bali Nusa Dua Theatre, is a cultural extravaganza of dance and acrobatics. With shows every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights, running from 7.30 to 9 p.m, the Devdan show is a great night out for the whole family. The above provides just a small taste of the many wonderful, family oriented activities available in Bali. More information can be found online or, for a more personal touch, you can ask the manager of your holiday villa for more information and recommendations.
Wherever you go in Bali and whatever you do, you can be assured of a warm Balinese welcome, astonishing natural beauty and a unique, spiritual atmosphere with which anyone who has visited this most special of islands will be familiar. Your Bali villa will provide a beautiful haven of tropical tranquility in which to relax, while the sights, sounds and many wonderful things to do in Bali will provide all the fun, thrills and excitement that anyone could ever wish for.